Funeral accounts generally involve three parts; Professional Fee, Casket, and Disbursements
Our professional fee includes the following services:
• Meeting with the family and taking instructions
• Care and treatment of your loved one whilst in our funeral home, including washing and dressing
• Arranging the service including:
• Liaising with the Florist, Minister or Celebrant, Organist, Piper, Bugler, Caterer, Videographers etc
• Organsing a venue, church or outdoor area
• Collating and designing service sheets
• Booking the Cemetery or Crematorium
• Providing the correct authorities with the Medical Certificate, Cremation Certificates and Burial applications, registering the death with BDM
• Organising newspaper notices
• Use of vehicles such as hearses
This fee also covers overheads such as building lease, rates, insurance, health and safety, vehicles, power, IT, staff training and much more. It also allows us to have our staff available 24 hour a day.
In line with current business practice, a deposit of $2000 will now be charged on all funerals other than direct cremations.
Twentymans Professional Fee : $3450.00
Our casket prices range from $495.00 for a basic cremation casket to $4995.00 for a solid timber casket.
The average cost is around $975.00.
These are fees that are paid on your behalf. They are charged at cost with no mark up.
• Newspaper notices $9.30 per line in NZ Herald (other Newspapers similar cost)
• Flowers $150.00 - $350.00
• Minister fees $150.00 - $300.00
• Celebrant fees $250.00 - $500.00
• Venue hire $150.00 - 200.00
• Catering $13.80 approximately per person
• Bagpiper, Organist etc $100.00 - $200.00
Care and preparation options (Embalming)
Should the family wish to view their loved one, then Twentymans recommend embalming.
The cost of embalming is:
- Normal case: $795.00
- Post Mortem case: $950.00
Should the family not wish to view then Twentymans are able to hold your loved one in a climate controlled environment.
These costs are as follows:
- Care overnight (including two hours of viewing) $85.00
- Care for up to five days (includes basic hygenic care, dressing and casketing, and no viewings) $517.50
We also offer
• The Thames on Kirkwood $195 for 2 hours
• Videoing of funeral services from $450
• Streaming worldwide from our Thames Chapel $90
• Hire of Twentymans Grahamstown Chapel (Thames) with Funeral Director in attendance $295 (includes free recording of service on a USB stick)
With the changes in the Employment Act coming into force on 1st April 2018 (following the Employment court ruling on Rest Home carers). Twentymans are now legally obliged to pay call out fees to employees for work conducted outside normal work hours.
Currently our normal work hours are: Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Extra Charges And After Hours Fees
- Call out fees (nights, weekends, and public holidays): $57.50
- Weekend Funerals: $172.50
- After hours viewings (after 6pm): $57.50
Service Sheets: $115 set up fee and $2.30 each.
Family receives PROOF sheet by email to check spelling etc.
Allowed one photo change. Each subsequent change will incur
a $50 charge per change.
When service sheets required to be produced within 24 hours
of a service start time they will incur $115 charge.
Slideshow/Photo Display: We recommend 50 plus photos and
music, max 75 photos $230
Extra USB copies of service $17.50 each
Rosary: In addition to normal travel, conveyance to churches for Rosary is $172.50
The direct cremation fee includes:
• The professional fee
• Basic cremation casket
• Cremation fee (Thames)
• All paperwork and death registration
• Two hours of viewing (within 24 hours) at Twentymans premises
Direct Cremation within 15kms of Thames - $2450.00
Direct cremation that requires transferring from Whangamata, Tairua, Whitianga, Waihi, Paeroa, Ngatea and Coromandel - $2700.00
Direct cremation that requires transferring from North of Coromandel - $2750.00
Final Farewell at our crematorium with a maximum of 15 people - $130
Any changes to the above will incur extra charges, and if you wish to cremate either in Tauranga, Hamilton or Auckland there will be additional charges.
A funeral will typically require 16-20 hrs of a funeral director’s time. Their fee also covers overheads such as vehicles, premises, staff salaries and a 24 hour service.
Your Twentymans Funeral Director is available to:
• Meet with you to ascertain your family’s wishes
• Transport the deceased
• Liaise with the doctor, hospital and coroner as necessary
• Register the death
• Prepare the deceased
• Organise newspaper notices
• Arrange and attend the service
• Organise catering
• Provide service sheets
• Organise other requirements for the service such as audio or video recording
• Liaise with the florist, minister or celebrant
• Organise the burial or cremation with local authorities
• Provide the dependability of a thorough, professional and high quality service
Q. I am worried about how much I can afford but want a memorable funeral for my loved one. What does it cost?
A. There are many aspects that you can have friends or family arrange to save on costs. We believe we can provide a funeral service to meet every family’s needs, regardless of financial circumstances. Talk to your funeral director for an idea of costs for the service that you have in mind.
Q. What if I’m worried I still won’t be able to afford to pay?
A. There are Government agencies such as WINZ and ACC that can help. It’s important to contact them as early as possible to start the process.
Q. Who will be sent the invoice?
A. We normally send our invoice, along with the death certificate, to your family solicitor, or to the person who has signed the authority form. A copy of both the death certificate and the invoice is sent to the family if requested, usually 10 days after the service.
Q. Who is responsible for payment?
A. Naturally, the person who is making arrangements with our funeral director is ultimately the person responsible for paying the invoice. In line with any commercial practice, your funeral director requires payment by the due date. When the settlement of the estate is delayed, families should pay the account by the due date and recover the amount from the estate.
Q. What does the invoice cover?
A. Your funeral director incurs costs and also acts as an agent for other suppliers. Therefore, your invoice from Twentymans is actually three accounts in one: Our charges for services; the casket; and reimbursements for items paid by us. Some local authorities charge you directly for their services rendered (e.g. burial plots and cremation fees).
The cost of the funeral service varies greatly, but our advice is to talk to us about your needs and financial circumstances as we believe we can cater to all. Remember to ask about agencies that can help if you have financial concerns.